Thursday, June 21, 2012

After that game, here is some light hearted reading.

I thought that after such a devastating loss by my new favorite NBA team OKC Thunder to Miami, I need to revive my hopeful spirit by taking you on a walk with me. To a moment today when hope for a championship series was still reachable. And life was good.




Most of you reading these blogs of mine, should know that I am trying to lose some weight. I'm sorry-- I'm trying to make lifestyle changes to encourage the fat to fall off my tummy. :)


Tonight was probably one of my hardest nights physically. I am so friggin' tired. Most every part of my body aches, but being inspired by my B, I press on.


I started with a bounce in my Nikes, and a step in time with Jennifer Lopez's classic "Dance Again." My goal was to add an extra leg to the tour and make it home in the same amount of time. Seems easy enough. 


Have you ever walked your neighborhood? What a world we have in our suburban Broken Arrow neighborhood!! I am so lucky to have the mostly quiet, pretty safe place to breathe. So, there I am pumping my legs, stretching out the kinks, and ready to hunker down into what can only be described as "the trot." 


First thing I see is the next door boys battling it out as to which way to turn their bikes. "Do we go to your house or mine?" says one boy. Along comes the yorkie from three houses down to shake his head and bark at me, as if to say "At it again? Can I come? Do you have a snack? Oops! Gotta pee and sniff things!"


Coming around the bend of the corner, I see the girl from Jamie's kindergarten class running through a sprinkler with so much force that she slips and falls into the fresh mown grass. What else is a girl with little girl thoughts and feelings to do but to jump back into the fray only to do the same thing over again. What a blessed summer moment. It brings back memories of the turtle at grandma's house that required no technology. Just a water hose and a five year old's imagination.


I kick up the pace at this point, now that I am all content and warmed up. I'm watching the robins fight over grasshopper dinner. I imagine them flying home to make a good stew. The breeze is cool enough to send shivers down the spine, as I may have spent a little too much time in the spaceship coffin as I have a slight burn to recover from tonight. Evidently, the rain we had today did nothing to deter the lawn Natzis' mission to stay green. Almost every other house I pass has a man attempting to water the skimpy spots in their lawn. Several wave to me and I feel a sense of community in my effort to add this next leg of the route.


Lots of heavy breathing, and probably some inappropriate groaning as I head down the hill and back up again. The teenage boy in his driveway shooting hoops can see me shuffling and giggles under his breath as I pretend not to notice he is hearing what I cannot hear, since now Justin Timberlake is bring back sexy once again.


Ah, the burn. The burn in the calves and shins and hips and knees starts to get a little warmer. "TOO WARM AMORY. YOU'RE CARRYING YOUR PHONE. JUST CALL THE HUBBY TO COME PICK YOU UP IN HIS TRUCK. YOU WORK EVERYDAY TO PAY OFF THE LOAN. IT'S A LONELY TRUCK THAT  BEGS TO PICK YOU UP OFF THE STREET AND TAKE YOU HOME. HOME HAS TYLENOL AND ICED H2O" --- "Whoa, what happened? It doesn't hurt as much now. I'm in a groove. Awww look at those two grasshoppers mating on the picket fence. Yay for summer love!"


Puffing and walking in tandem now. I pass the guy who never wears a shirt and should now as he is that shade of sunburn that looks a little.. crispy? 


I have hit mile 1.5 and I'm just so pleased with my pace I could pee. NOPE! Whoops! Don't pee yet! The trees! Oh the trees are so thirsty but look quite peaceful in the breeze. Their shade is my saving grace at this point. 


I hit mile two and the stride is still going strong. Knees are feeling loose but achey, that has to be a good sign, right? More middle aged men out spraying down the lawns. Must be voting on the MeadowBrook neighborhood "Lawn of the Week" tomorrow morning. I'm conquering my fitness lifestyle at this point, I have no room to stress over the shape of my grass or the growth of my outdoor bushes. Lucky bastards. 


2.5 miles, almost home! Just a few more right hand turns and my one small slice of pizza will be there waiting for me. That's right, I'm walking for the ability to eat pizza. Food will always be a motivator for me. I don't want to overcome this. I like FOOD!!-- "What's that? Is that girl on the other side of the street walking too? Maybe I'm inspiring the neighbors!"-- figures, it's the 6 month pregnant woman from down the road who isn't even sweating. She's walking faster than me!! UGH motivation? I think so!! 


Rounding the last bend, I'm grinning ear to ear! Oh I can just taste the unflavored water that is not dr pepper now! I'm so ready for a break, but I gotta keep going, going, going... whoa! here comes the yellow lab, "Hi doggie! Oh aren't you sweet. Ope! You want to dance in the street? Why didn't you say so! My you're tall on your hind legs! REALLY TALL. Taller than me! But you obviously love to hug!" -- At this point the embarrassed middle aged man with a garden hose and powerful spray nozzle is clapping and whistling, with the stress only the owner of a loving large dog who knows NO stranger, can clap and whistle. Have no fear man! That was a the best hug I've had all day!!


Continuing as I wave my goodbyes to "Frank" the taller than me dog, I realize I can see my house! There it is! Not a mirage! It's my home! What a burn, what a day, what a walk!.... I think this as I collapse in the yard by the mailbox. Lord knows the checking of the mail must be done before I can walk in the house. 


I walk in the house to the sounds of a beautiful daughter and her daddy talking about poop. Yep, it's good to be home. Good to be home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment